The “Red House” – which was first constructed in the 19th century as a workshop for knife or scissor grinders, was first used to house Erwin Bowien’s (1899-1972) studio in 1945, before later being used by all the artists of the community. Many conversions were made during this period.
Particularly noteworthy are the stained glass windows made by the prominent Cologne glass artist Fritz Hans Lauten (1935-1989), who installed them by hand in the 1960s during his regular visits to the house, giving it an unmistakable architectural touch that can still be seen today.
The painter Bettina Heinen-Ayech (1932-2020) left a fresco and a frieze in the central upper room, parts of which are still preserved. Some of Bettina’s artistically designed tiles can be found embedded in many locations throughout the house.
All painters at the artist’s colony, Erwin Bowien (1899-1972), Amud Uwe Millies (1932-2008) and Bettina Heinen-Ayech (1937-2020), used the rooms as studios and exhibition spaces.